Skip to main content

Another Hump Day!

Itzl AlertingAs you can see by Itzl's concerned look, this group is for us to check in at to let people know we are alive, doing OK, and not affected by such things as heat, blizzards, floods, wild fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, power outages, or other such things that could keep us off DKos. It's also so we can find other Kossacks nearby for in-person checks when other methods of communication fail - a buddy system. Members come here to check in. If you're not here, or anywhere else on DKos, and there are adverse conditions in your area (floods, heatwaves, hurricanes, etc.), we and your buddy are going to check up on you. If you are going to be away from your computer for a day or a week, let us know here.  We care!
We have split up the publishing duties, but we welcome everyone in IAN to do daily diaries for the group!  Every member is an editor, so anyone can take a turn when they have something to say, photos and music to share, a cause to promote or news!

Ok, we have a current diary schedule.  If you would like to fill in, either post in thread or send FloridaSNMom a Kosmail with the date. If you need someone to fill in, ditto. FSNMom is here on and off through the day usually from around 9:30 or 10 am eastern to around 11 pm eastern.

Monday: BadKitties
Tuesday: bigjacbigjacbigjac
Wednesday: Caedy
Thursday: weck
Friday: FloridaSNMOM
Saturday:broths
Sunday: loggersbrat
If you'd like to be part of the Itzl Alert Network, please leave a comment asking to join, or send us a message asking to join. We'd love to have you. The bigger our network, the less likely someone will be stranded all alone.

This day in History:

1792 - The Coinage Act is passed establishing the United States Mint.

1827 - Joseph Dixon begins manufacturing lead pencils

1845 - H L Fizeau & J Leon Foucault take 1st photo of Sun

1866 - US President Johnson ends civil war in Ala, Ark, Fla, Ga, Miss, La, NC, SC, Tn & Va

1870 - Victoria Woodhull is 1st woman to be nominated for US pres

1872 - George B Brayton patents gasoline powered engine

1902 - "Electric Theatre", the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California.

1912 - Titanic undergoes sea trials under its own power

1931 - Teenage girl strikes out Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig in an exhibition game in Chattanooga, Tennessee

1932 - Charles Lindbergh turns over $50,000 as ransom for kidnapped son

1963 - Explorer 17 attains Earth orbit (254/914 km)

1968 - Beatles form Python Music Ltd

1978 - TV show "Dallas" premieres on CBS (as a 5 week mini-series)

1978 - Velcro was 1st put on the market

1987 - IBM introduces PS/2 & OS/2

1992 - Space Shuttle STS-45 (Atlantis 11) lands

2013 - Uruguay passes legislation to legalize same-sex marriage

Just a few of the things that happen today in History :)

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  g'day all; it appears the home invasions (9+ / 0-)

have started again.  There have been 3 the last couple of days, one with the homeowner in the house.  She hid in the bathroom closet and called 911 but the bad guys made off with all her electronics (rural cop response time; they know they have time for a smash and grab.

Things have been calm for last six months since last crew was busted.  The other crews moved on to greener pastures but it appears they have returned.

On a lighter note, I think I need new glasses.  Bid on lot of costume jewelry for granddaughter and thought I was bidding on .5 lbs.  When I won the lot and got bill for shipping, I was surprised to see it was 5 lbs instead.  Package arrived today and it appears it was 50 lbs instead  from the heft of the package.  OTOH it does qualify as a bargain at less than 75 cents/lb

•  what a lucky mistake! (4+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      weck, broths, FloridaSNMOM, Kit RMP

5 lbs of costume jewelry is a bonanza.  a couple of years ago, i bought a great huge glass vase filled with junk jewelry at the goodwill in the pearl district in portland, or.  it was such a score and there are still little bits of it around here, that i use for my art.  what are you going to do with it?  here is an example of what i do with it. i do wall art and boxes in this style too but i love this damn table.
      table3

"I am an old woman, named after my mother. my old man is another child who's grown old." John Prine (not an old woman)

by art ah zen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 08:05:01 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  That table is gorgeous! (4+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        art ah zen, FloridaSNMOM, Kit RMP, weck

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

by broths on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 09:15:58 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  thanks! it is (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          Kit RMP, weck

very odd and covered with what i call "foil and flotsam".  a lot of what you see is under aluminum foil, and then painted or what not.  its a kind of steam punk, i think but with the foil, it veers off into oddness.

by art ah zen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 10:26:02 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I bought it for my granddaughter (2+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        art ah zen, Kit RMP

She is developing an interest in jewelry and I have, over the years, bought her several books on jewelry repair and appraisal, a gem tumbler, a jeweler's kit, and I don't know how many pounds of jewelry and unpolished gems and such.  She is now interested in selling some of her stuff on Etsy.

Personally, I am installing Victorian era door knobs in the house and am torn between installing them as is, as many have quite a bit of verdigris on them, being brass but I am concerned that polishing or cleaning will destroy the patina.

•  what a fabulous find (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          Kit RMP

for her!  i hope she has success on Etsy.

as for your door knobs, i would so love to have them with the patina on them.  cleaning would destroy it .  it has such character.  perhaps gentle cleaning would leave the charm during use.

by art ah zen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 05:29:36 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  with soap and water only? I have some that (2+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            Kit RMP, art ah zen

were cleaned by a previous owner with what appears to brass cleaner which completely brightened up the knobs and destroyed the patina.  It is the verdigris that is coating the patina I am trying to remove and hence do not wish to
            use solvents but think water alone will not remove verdgris

•  i don't know but (1+ / 0-)
              Recommended by:
              Kit RMP

brass cleaner will definitely take off any patina.  every article i accessed online told how to clean them but meant how to make them shiny again.  you may have to decide whether to accept the verdigris to keep the patina or whether to clean them and allow them to re-patina as they will tarnish not so slowly over time.  i would be interested in knowing what you finally do.

by art ah zen on Thu Apr 03, 2014 at 09:32:25 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Did somebody say mint? (10+ / 0-)

Never walk mile in moccasin if other foot in mouth.

by jwinIL14 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 12:30:26 AM PDT

•  Good morning. (6+ / 0-)

Nice day today.   We're on the Gulf for a few days, and it's beautiful here.

Going out for fried oysters for lunch.   Yum!

Have a nice day.

by broths on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 05:00:00 AM PDT

•  Good morning! (6+ / 0-)

Hectic today, but it's of my own making. Two classes to teach, all prepped, and then errands as soon as I get home. Spring break next week, and no commitments except for some online grading for ETS which will take 4 hours of my day but which pays well.

Happy Wednesday, all.

•  Good morning! (6+ / 0-)

I'm up, dogs have been walked, and I'm gathering spoons and air so I can get the sweeping done. I also have laundry to do today. All of he boy's school work is together, and I have what I need to get my other half's taxes done. I also downloaded a new game yesterday so I'll probably try that out as well.

Caedy is working a 12 hour shift today, so Draco is going to walk up to meet her later and make sure that Zombie Caedy gets home safely. Of course he only got about 4 hours sleep and is awake again, so it may be the Zombie leading the Zombie.

by FloridaSNMOM on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 05:53:31 AM PDT

•  The sun is shining and the rest of the snow is (6+ / 0-)

melting.  The big ditch on the other side of the road is muddy and full; it is so deep it is a hazard to anything that would fall in.

I get to work on office-type stuff again today, but I did get the grill set up yesterday and will be enjoying another grilled dinner tonight!

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. & http://www.dailykos.com/blog/Okiciyap

by weck on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 06:19:57 AM PDT

•  Still waiting for rain. (6+ / 0-)

I didn't think I'd have to worry about moisture after the horrible winter, but here we are.  The river remains at about normal levels, enough for barge traffic to be running briskly.  It's 32, headed for 48 with a possibility of rain later on.

I'm at the senior center and had a hell of a time getting on their network today.  It used to just be open but some wiseacre decided it needed a password.  The only thing that's accomplished is that people who are supposed to be able to use it, can't.  I wish I knew what combination of hocus pocus I did this morning resulted in this connection.  :-)

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 06:48:48 AM PDT

•  it rained here last night (4+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    weck, broths, FloridaSNMOM, Kit RMP

and it beautiful this morning.  this is kind of like camelot where the rain must never fall til after sundown.  i really like this arrangement.  we need the rain, the garden is grateful and the day dawns bright and clear.

i did get rubi to the dog beach yesterday but it was extremely windy and cold, although sunny.  there were very few intrepid souls with their people but they and rubi had a fine time romping in the sand.  we only stayed 15-20 minutes but i will take her back when it is warmer.  i was unsure of how she would act, if she would run off and not come back, if she would get along with the other dogs since she smells like chemo.  but everything was fine.

today, my twice a month housekeeper will be here so i need to get out into the world and let her work.  she is our long time family housekeeper and we love her but i hate to get in her way.  i feel strange sitting around, playing with art or sewing while she works so hard.

everyone have a good day.

by art ah zen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 at 08:14:26 AM PDT

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site